Saturday, May 3, 2014

Empire building, phase two

No visible progress on the module yet, but I made a small amount of progress at the Brisbane Model Train Show today.

I'd been hoping to buy the track I needed, but neither of the stores that I knew carry the right type were exhibiting, and I couldn't find the right type at any of the stores who did have stands.

But I did see several other displays with silos there, and in the process learned about the Walthers grain elevator kit:






It'll need some kitbashing, that is, it doesn't look exactly like the scene that I'm modelling, so I'll need to change it.  But it's close enough to what I need that I can at least consider kitbashing.  Until today, I thought I'd have to build it from scratch.  I might still do it that way, we'll see.

I don't know yet if I have the patience or skill, but it was very cool to see some examples of N scale work done well.  For comparison, these modules are about 50% longer and wider than my module:







The photos don't do it justice, but even so you can see the attention to detail and the quality of the workmanship that goes into these models.


1 comment:

  1. These look amazingly realistic! My son loves model trains so much and I think it's something we will get into more into the future when he is a bit older.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to know what you think of this post.

Here's how to add your comment:
- Enter your comment in the box below.
- Click on the triangle next to the 'Comment as:' box to tell us who you are. You can sign in if you have a google or other account, enter your name and URL if you have a website, or just click 'Anonymous'.
- Click 'Publish'.